Sunday, November 6, 2011

Kiwi Land

Sunday, November 6, 2011

I've made it to Kiwi Land now, aka New Zealand, and am loving it so far! My last few days in Australia were as fun as ever.  Spent them in Sydney just relaxing and spending time with good friends.  Had lots of laughs and good food with friends(tried Vietnamese food at Phoung's Restaurant from the photo--it was delicious!). Also had yummy gelatto (sweet talked the guy into a free third scoop so I could try poppey seed flavor (better than it sounds, way better), and spent the last day exploring Bondi Beach with friends.  There, we saw the sculptures by the seaexhibit and tried sushi train--yum!!! I loved my time in Australia and miss everyone dearly!

But, on to the new land of the Kiwis and it's off to a good start.  Started a bit rocky when I arrived at the Sydney airport at 4 pm for a 6pm flight, thinking I had plenty of time.  I was wrong.  At the check-in counter, I was told that I couldn't fly to NZ without a departing ticket from NZ.  No problem, I had that covered. Showed them my departing ticket from NZ to South Korea.  Oh, but NZ needs to see TWO steps ahead, they said, so I had to have a dparting ticket from South Korea as well or I would be deported from NZ back to the USA.  That did not sound fun to me, at all, so the ticket guy (Steve) and I came up with a plan.

I had to run across the airport to the Quantas desk, buy a ticket from Seoul to the States, for any date in the next 3 months, to any city, for any price...as long as it was FULLY refundable.  SO, off I ran (my airline counter was closing in 10 minutes)...literally RAN, bought my ticket, ran back to my counter, and handed them my TWO tickets now.  SO, $1200 later, I was allowed to leave for NZ.  It was a good thing I checked my bag and found any of this out (I normally don't but did only because I was bringing liquids over for a friend--thanks, Haddad! Worked in my favor!) 

Same ticket guy, Steve, felt bad for me I think so he gave me a seat with an empty one next to it and didn't charge me for my overweight bag.  Flight went well.  Empty seat next to me so I could lay and sleep, and a nice French guy in the other seat.  He was flying to NZ for 2 days to finish his Maori tattoo.  Made it to NZ, and for the first time in my life, I actually declared what I had since they say NZ ACTUALLY fines people.  THey let it all through and my family friend, Peter, was waiting for me on the other side!

He lives in Aukland and we spent all today seeing ALL of Aukland...beaches, bars, cafes, mountains, downtown, all the suburbs...it all! And we met up with my friend to drop off her goods and visit a bit.  Weather was cold and rainy but it didn't stop us! Tomorrow we're off to Bay of Islands and then the Coromandel Peninsula.  Looking forward to more travels and hopefully some sunshine!

: ) Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment