Monday, November 28, 2011

Good on Ya!


November 28th, 2011

I can’t believe my time in NZ is almost done---nooooooo!!!!!! Ok, truth be told, I’m really looking forward to getting to Asia for budgeting sake (Aus and NZ are expensive!!!) but I am sad to leave this great land and my great new friends.  I parted ways with most of them in Queenstown and was sad until I got on my new bus and was reunited with others on the bus for the last leg of my NZ adventures!

We traveled from Queenstown to Mt. Cook yesterday.  We arrived at the lodge around 5pm, dropped our bags in the rooms, then all headed for a few hour hike around Mt. Cook (I snuck in a quick 5 minute “washing” of underwear in the sink before heading out).  We were all tired and hungry but only had a few hours to explore so we powered through it.  It’s nice being back with familiar faces and it’s a nice new gang too.  Our bus driver is “Horse” because he eats a lot.  He’s really young and this is his first trip he’s driving so we’re trying to be nice to the newbie.

After the hike, I chilled in the room a bit downloading music and uploading photos then dragged myself to the kitchen for dinner.  I had leftover pasta from Nomads in Queenstown and was happy to eat it and proud of my frugality. My friends were not so impressed with my money-saving skills and instead insisted that I DON’T eat it and gave me their food.  It was good so it wasn’t a loss!
I’m SO tired today because I had a snorer in my room last night and got NO sleep.  We drove to Rangitata today with a few stops along the way, including a hike Peel  forest.  We didn’t have time to reach the falls but we did see a creek and play in that a bit.  We all thought we were reaching the lodging early today and were excited for a day of rest.  But, by the time we were all checked in it was 4:40pm.  We’re staying at the lodge that the rafting company owns.  There wasn’t enough room for all of us at the main lodge so ten of us and myself are 5k town the road and we’re happy to be here!

We are right next to the river, have our own fireplace, more private rooms (they had 6 in a room, I’m by myself!), and it’s all our friends! Since it’s most of our last night together, Kristian “Chief” (from Hungary) is cooking a Hungarian goolash dinner for everyone.  The cabin has a great living room and kitchen area so we’re all hanging out while they cook.  I’m typing this and crocheting while others read, play games, and nap.  Thought of going for a run but my back is sore from bungy and it’s really windy so I chose the cozy sofa instead.  I’m quite happy with that decision. 

I’m back, next day.  Last night was one of my favorite nights in NZ! We had an AMAZING Hungarian FEAST thanks to Chief Kristian! It was so nice to all be around the dinner table, drinking wine and eating piles of yummy food.  It was a nice belated Thanksgiving meal for me!  I loved sitting around the fireplace and crowding around my laptop with everyone to watch Into the Wild.  What I loved most was sleeping in my OWN room in a DOUBLE bed!!!!!  It was the perfect ending to my time with great friends, in a great country!

Tuesday, November 29th, 2011

Got to Christchurch around 9:30 this am and were dropped off at the Antarctic center, near the airport.  Charlie (from NY) had rented a car so after long goodbyes to all, he, Pia, and I set off for our hostels.  Charlie dropped me off at mine, Tranquil lodge.  It is just that.  Tranquil little converted house with nice gardens in a quiet neighborhood.  I walked to downtown today and saw the devastation from the 3 earthquakes.  I also saw the Container Mall which is just that—shops in giant POD-like containers set up after the quakes.  Quite inventive. 

Back at the hostel now to do free laundry, pack, and catch up online before heading to Korea tomorrow.  Sweet as stay here, NZ.  Good on ya! 

No comments:

Post a Comment