Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Travel to Hong Kong

Days 4 & 5
 
October 2 & 3 ( I think, but I also think I lost a day in there somewhere)

 (BTW-if this post is weird, it's because my computer is displaying everything in Chinese and I'm guessing what the buttons are...)

My last day in San Diego was just how it was meant to be.  A day of doing nothing except hanging by the water with friends, eating fish tacos, and taking in the sun.

I don't think the reality of this trip really hit me until I hit LAX and stood in line to check in to my flight and was one of 5 people speaking english and they told me that the flight was FULL, overbooked even. I'm not gonna lie, the panic did start to come a bit.  Not that I was afraid of a language barrier--I love the challenge, just the reality that I was really doing this trip...and the 15 hour full flight...

There were a few glitches at the airport--airline didn't get my fax for my medical device to use in flight, security took my peanut butter (thanks, TSA, i feel so safe now that i can't attack anyone with peanut butter. oh, and you missed a few other things in my  bags that you should have taken. good job, security, good job). Needless to say, I was not exactly quiet about my dissatisfaction with this guys power trip...

Once on the plane, I made it to my seat only to discover I was in the last row before a wall so my seat did not recline.  That's when the true panic set in because I cannot physically sit up straight for that long due to my back injuries this year.  I spoke to an attendant about my concern and the airline (Cathay Pacific) could not have been more accommodating.  They found the ONE empty seat (literally) on the plane and asked the guy next to it to switch with me so I could lay in 2 seats in the flight...THANK GOD!

So, dare I say it, the 15 hour flight was not all that bad! I slept most of it. Watched two movies: The First Grader (HIGHLY recommend it!!!) and Water for Elephants (also good), saw 2 episodes of Curb, listened to some music, watched the world outside with a flight camera,  and ate yummy food (they remembered my vegetarian food--kudos Cathay P!)

HONG KONG

I can't get over how CONVENIENT this city has made everything! Upon landing, there were free luggage carts everywhere, everything was close, well-marked, and stress free.  My luggage was waiting for me o=when I reached baggage, and they re-taped it for me no problem.  Immigration took all of 5 minutes and I was texting on the free wifi the whole time.  There was literally NOTHING to do for customs, just walked through a door that said customs. And walked right into the Tourism Board who told me everything I need to know in 3o minutes (bus routes, vegetarian friendly-foods, attractions, and even wrote down the 2 key phrases I need for me : where's the bathroom? and I don't eat meat or spicy food) I was set!  Even had a free phone to use.

Tickets to the train and city travel were right there, bought those, got on the train and it took me right downtown (beautiful views from train) where I caught a FREE shuttle (also with free luggage carts) to a downtown hotel near my house.  Walked from there to the general area where I was staying, borrowed a phone from someone on the street and called my connection in HK.  He came and met me, showed me the apartment (complete with internet, fridge, and microwave), gave me a key and set me free in the city!  I relaxed a bit (okay, about 6 hours worth of a nap), researched stuff to do tomorrow, and then called it a day.....hoping the rest gets me nice and energized for touring tomorrow!

PS-the city was even kind enough to make the time difference an exact 12 hours so I don't even have to reset my watch, I just have to ignore the am/pm--thanks, Hong Kong! : )


No comments:

Post a Comment