Thursday, October 27, 2011

“Once in a Lifetimes”… ALL the time



Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I’m finding that the hardest part about budgeting on this trip is that I’m constantly tempted by “once in a lifetime” things to do. Today for example, I had to choose between diving in the Great Barrier Reef or Trekking in one of the oldest rainforests. Not only do I have to choose whether or not to do them, but then HOW to do them. Do I pay more money and go to the farther reef? Do I extend and stay on the boat overnight and do 2 days diving? Do we rent a car and go on our own? Do I stay over in the rainforest and sleep on the beach? All of which of course are “just a few dollars more.” But, as I’m sure you can imagine, none of these things are cheap to begin with and a few extra dollars on EVERY tour, several times a week adds up! If I knew that I would for sure see/do some of these things in other parts of the world, I would be happy to wait. The problem is, there’s no guarantee that the option will be there, or the weather will cooperate, or I’ll have money left, etc. So, I’ll just keep doing these “once in a lifetime things” as they come and enjoy them while the money lasts! : )

Oddly enough, I find that a similar phenomenon occurs with food when I travel. I never know when my next chance to have veggies, fruit, chocolate, or whatever is so I’m constantly buying/eating them as if it’s my last meal. I am also good at hoarding things from the free food bin at the hostel and eating the crummy free pasta meal plus a left over potato from the guy I met 5 minutes prior. Any one of these behaviors (or perhaps a bit of each) may account for not-always-happy-tummy.

Today was nice and relaxing. Eileen and I went to 6:30 am yoga on the beach and then I went for a run. I was shocked to see how many people were out exercising at that time of day, but it makes sense since it gets scorching hot by 7:00am. Along the path, they have free lifting stations and every am & pm they offer free outdoor exercise. The girls are at Zumba as I type.
After running, I used the wifi at McD’s and we spent the rest of today laying by the lagoon, reading and people watching. Booked a snorkel trip to the reef tomorrow and we get a free dive as well! The bar nearby that provides our free dinner is having a trivia and bikini contest tonight. We joked that we should enter but when we heard the cash price amount we decided it might not be a laughing matter…might just be another “once in a lifetime” experience to pay for all the other “once in a lifetime” ones! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment