Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hong Konging It!


Day 6
October 4th, 2011

Today was AMAZING!  I was up late last night (since I slept the majority of the day) so I put myself to good use and read the brochures I picked up at the airport.  I don’t typically do tours but read one called the “Land Between Tour” and it was to visit the countryside of HK, including a fishing village and a temple. This was much more up my alley than walking through a city so I decided at 4am that I would get up at 6am and try to catch the tour.

It was supposed to rain, but the weather held out and I somehow found my way across to Kowloon island to the YMCA (SO nice, not like anything we have) and proceeded to buy a tour ticket…only to discover they were full.  I decided to wait for the tourguide to arrive and press my luck anyway (buying fish dumpling and yogurt breakfast in the mantime for $.60 at a 711 and they were delicious!). So, the tourguide, Gigi arrived and told me it was too full…but after a few minutes of my persuasiveness, she let me in, and took what I had in cash..which was $13 less than the price of the tour! : )

The tour was awesome.  First stop was the Yuen Yuen Institute, a temple famous because it has all 3 religions represented (Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism—it’s 3 levels, with Buddha in the middle because he’s the “guest” and guests get the honored seat). As if my luck wasn’t already enough…it turned out to be a national holiday for locals to go pray at the temples so we got to witness everyone dedicating the day to there families.  People were dedicating food, incense, and burning paper (symbolize money) everywhere—awesome! Most people in HK are cremated and you buy a space at the temple with their picture for worship (with or without ashes).  If you choose to be buried, the coffins are places vertical (saves space) and you have to move it after a few years so it’s not common.

Next stop was the Tai Mo Shan Lookout Point which is the highest mountain in Hong Kong with amazing views. There was a grave site here that was in the shape of an armchair that she said you wouldn’t see anywhere (not even books—so look for this in my photos).  This showed that he was wealthy (poor people only allowed on benches) and the red dot means he died in peace (although she says all sites have this) : )
Third was Fanling Village, an old fishing village with 3 remaining remnants of the wall around the city.  The buildings are so close together, Gigi called them “shakehands balconies” because they were literally that close together! The town has a pond in the front of it that is protected with 24 hr surveillance because water is meant to bring prosperity to your town…but only if it’s moving, hence the fish and turtles!

Next stop was Luk Keng Road lookout point where we could see China across the waterway. Then it was on to Bride’s Pool Falls where we saw local barbeque styles.  The last stop on the tour was Sam Mun Tsai Fishing Village where no one actually lives on fishing boats anymore, rather they rent fishing platform work stations and go there daily.  Next door was the ritzy barrio, literally called “the Beverly Hills.” 
I loved being on the tour to hear her personal anecdotes and learn about local culture.  She said her dad still gives her heck for being a girl, because he wanted a son.  She also explained to us about the 2 indigenous peoples (Haka (sp?) and Pun ti) and how the government claimed their lands and repays them land elsewhere. And, that fishermen are treated poorly because they don’t get land, they only get space in the projects.  Fascinating to learn about the true culture.

As we were returning to the hotel after the tour, I noticed the museums close by so I wandered there after the tour.  It was Wednesday, free day at the museums! so I checked out some and then stumbled upon free dance/singing performances along the harbor front.  Got some ice cream too—SO creamy and yum! Rode the Star Ferry back to Hong Kong island, made it to the grocery store (total for food for today and the week of snacks $6!), and then home for the night. Still can’t get over how easy this place is to navigate (and that says a lot coming from me, who gets lost in her hometown!) Got back around 5:30..rested til 7:30pm when I fell asleep.  Thought I had this letlag thing beat but I awoke at 3am…it’s 4:35 and I’m still up! Oh well, I can sleep when I’m dead! : )

Sorry this is so long, but this is for my memory too…if you made it this far in reading, you are a true friend and I love you!
: ) Cheers,
Dani

1 comment:

  1. Wheeling and Dealing...But obviously worth it! Like+1!

    ReplyDelete